Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’ Anniversary Edition Out On Blu-ray/4K/Digital!
The classic Disney animated feature is celebrating 30 years!
I consider The Little Mermaid to be one of the great Disney animated features. I’ll always have a special place for it in my heart seeing as it was the first film I ever watched in theaters. Yet memories aside, the film truly holds up with its breathtaking animation and memorable songs.
The Little Mermaid won two Academy Awards – Best Original Score and Best Original Song (“Under the Sea”). Directed by Disney legends Ron Clements and John Musker, the film features songs by iconic duo of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman.
A brand new “Anniversary Edition” release is out today, available in 4K for the first time and featuring loads of special features available on both Blu-ray and Digital as well.
The film looks better than ever on Blu-ray. I watched on my 4K television and was blown away by the clarity and vibrancy of the timeless animation. As someone who grew up watching it on VHS, and eventually DVD – you won’t believe the jump to Blu-ray!
All-New Bonus Features
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL
- Sing-Along Mode – Sing along to the movie in this sing-along version of the film.
- Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies – From the voice of a mermaid to the tunes of a muse, the music of Alan Menken has scored the soundtrack for some of Disney’s most iconic leading ladies. Join Alan, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas Singing Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel) as we celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all … “The Little Mermaid.” In this discussion, the ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
- “What I Want From You…Is YOUR VOICE” – Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of “The Little Mermaid” in their original recording sessions.
- Stories From Walt’s Office – “Gadgets & Gizmos” – Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired the invention of audio-animatronics. We take a look at some the collections that Walt kept in his office in the third episode of this series.
- #TreasuresUntold – Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series “Coop and Cami Ask the World” as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.”
- DCapella – “Part of Your World” Music Video
Classic Bonus Features
- Deleted Character: Harold The Merman
- Under The Scene: The Art Of Live Action Reference
- Howard’s Lecture
- Audio Commentary With Ron Clements, John Musker and Alan Menken
- “Part of Your World” – A 30-Year Retrospective – Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney “I Want” songs “Part of Your World” and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
- Classic Bonus Features – Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!