Details have finally been revealed about a much anticipated Orlando theme park, inspired by the “Harry Potter” series. The park, called “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter,” is based on the characters and stories created by J.K. Rowling. It is said that the design will hold faithful to the scenery that we have seen in the films.
The Potter-themed park will be located at Universal Studio’s Islands of Adventure, and will contain rides, shops, and a restaurant. Universal Studios has been working closely with J.K. Rowling and Warner Brothers to ensure that “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” will hold true to the books and movies.
Stuart Craig (production designer of the “Harry Potter” films) and Alan Gilmore (art director) have been working on-site on a daily basis to ensure that the theme park captured the most authentic Harry Potter experience possible. According to Universal, here are some of the highlights of “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” —
- At the entrance of Hogsmeade, billowing steam and an iconic whistle signal the arrival of the Hogwarts Express into Hogsmeade station
- Across the way is Zonko’s, a joke shop with a collection of tricks and jokes, including Extendable Ears, Boxing Telescopes and Sneakoscopes
- Honeydukes is next door and full of treats like Chocolate Frogs and Bertie Bott’s Every-Flavour Beans
- The Three Broomsticks and adjacent Hog’s Head pub will feature traditional British fare and drinks including Butterbeer and pumpkin juice
- Across from the Three Broomsticks is The Owlery, where owls roost and await their next delivery
- The Owl Post sends letters with a certified Hogsmeade postmark and sells official stamps from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Ollivanders wand shop is an incredible interactive experience where the wand chooses the wizard
- Completing Hogsmeade is Dervish and Banges, the magical instruments and equipment shop featuring Quidditch equipment, Triwizard apparel, Spectrespecs and Remembralls
- The first attraction, Dragon Challenge, features a twin high-speed roller coaster with many iconic elements from the Triwizard Tournament
- Next is Flight of the Hippogriff, a family coaster simulating a Hippogriff training flight over the grounds of Hogwarts castle
- Located in Hogwarts castle, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is a thrilling new state-of-the-art attraction that uses entirely new technology to bring the magic, characters and stories of Harry Potter to life in ways never before experienced
- Before exiting back into Hogsmeade, Filch’s Emporium of Confiscated Goods is full of Ministry of Magic and magical creatures merchandise, Omnioculars, and even remote control Golden Snitches
Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment, says “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is yet another way that fans will be able to experience and enjoy Harry Potter for many years to come… The power of this brand speaks for itself, as the enthusiasm of our dedicated fans around the world continues to grow even stronger as we move into the future.”
The park sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun – both for kids, and adults. If you are a fan of the “Harry Potter” books or movies, it sounds like this is going to be one stop that you won’t want to miss on your next vacation!
For more information about Universal Studios, visit www.universalorlando.com.