For many this year, the best film released so far is J.J. Abrams Star Trek and we now have word on all the special features and what not packed into the 3-Disc set to arrive, November 17th.
Blu-ray.com reported the news and here it is all for you:
The Blu-ray offers exclusive branching pods that allow for enhanced exploration, more fascinating features on the starships, planets, props, costumes and sound of STAR TREK, as well as a Starfleet Vessel Simulator and access to the latest NASA news about real-life space exploration via BD-Live.
It also offers a home entertainment first: groundbreaking augmented reality technology. Using a webcam, a Star Trek visual cue will morph into a 3D holographic tour of the U.S.S. Enterprise on the screen, providing a unique immersive and interactive experience.
Special features are as follows:
- Commentary:By director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk.
- NASA News (BD-exclusive): This BD-Live feature gives viewers access to the latest NASA news about real space exploration. Learn about new mission developments and check out featured imagery from around the universe.
- To Boldly Go: Taking on the world’s most beloved science fiction franchise was no small mission. Director J.J. Abrams, writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof, and executive producer Bryan Burk talk about the many challenges they faced and their strategy for success.
- Branching Pods:
- The Shatner Conundrum
- Red Shirt Guy
- The Green Girl
- Trekker Alert!
- Casting: The producers knew their greatest task was finding the right cast to reprise these epic roles. The cast, for their part, talk about the experience of trying to capture the essence of these mythic characters. The piece concludes with a moving tribute to Leonard Nimoy.
- A New Vision: J.J. Abrams’ vision was not only to create a Star Trek that was a bigger, more action-packed spectacle, but also to make the spectacle feel real. Every aspect of production–from unique locations to the use of classic Hollywood camera tricks–was guided by this overall objective.
- Starships (BD-exclusive): Abrams and production designer Scott Chambliss were careful to pay tribute to the design of the original Enterprise, but they also wanted to make it futuristic and cool for a modern audience. This chapter focuses on the unique stories behind the creation of the film’s starships.
- Branching Pods:
- Warp Explained
- Paint Job
- Bridge Construction Accelerated
- The Captain’s Chair
- Button Acting 101
- Shuttle Shuffle
- Narada Construction Accelerated
- Aliens: Designers Neville Page and Joel Harlow talk about the hurdles they faced creating new alien species, recreating the Romulans and Vulcans, and designing the terrifying creatures on Delta Vega for the new Star Trek.
- Branching Pods:
- The Alien Paradox
- Big-Eyed Girl
- Big Bro Quinto
- Drakoulias Anatomy 101
- Planets (BD-exclusive): From the frozen landscape of Delta Vega to the desert plains of Vulcan, Scott Chambliss and the art department had a number of radically different planets to create. Abrams’ desire to shoot on real locations whenever possible led the production team to a number of strange and surprising locations.
- Branching Pods:
- Extra Business
- Props and Costumes (BD-exclusive): Property master Russell Bobbitt had the unique challenge of designing props that were both true to the original series and pertinent to today’s technology. Likewise, costume designer Michael Kaplan talks about how he designed costumes that paid homage to what came before yet were relevant and timeless.
- Ben Burtt and the Sounds of Star Trek (BD-exclusive) : When famed sound designer Ben Burtt was hired to create sounds for the first Star Wars film, he took his inspiration from the original “Star Trek” series. Burtt jumped at the opportunity to pay tribute to the sounds that sparked his career with the sounds he created for the new Star Trek.
- Score: As a fan of the original series, composer Michael Giacchino embraced the challenge of creating new music for Star Trek while preserving the spirit of Alexander Courage’s celebrated theme.
- Gene Roddenberry’s Vision (BD-exclusive): J.J. Abrams, Leonard Nimoy, previous Star Trek writers and producers, and scientific consultant Carolyn Porco describe and commend the optimistic and enduring vision of Gene Roddenberry.
- Nine deleted scenes with optional commentary
- Starfleet Vessel Simulator (BD-exclusive):Explore extensive data on the U.S.S. Enterprise and the Romulan ship, the Narada. Submerse yourself in breathtaking 360 views and close-ups and review detailed tech information.
- Gag Reel: Bloopers featuring the entire principal cast.
- Digital Copy
- Star Trek D-A-C Free Trial Game for XBOX 360
- Weblink to the Star Trek D-A-C free trial game for PC
- Weblink to the Star Trek D-A-C free trial game for PlayStation Network
“I cannot wait for fans of Star Trek to check out the home entertainment release of the film. The behind-the-scenes features on the DVD — and especially the Blu-ray — give a wonderful look at the crazy hard work and incredible fun that went into making this movie,” said J.J. Abrams. “The cast and crew were truly extraordinary to work with — watching these special features, you’ll see why. And for people who didn’t catch Star Trek in the theater, I hope they do now, as Paramount has done an exceptional job with this release; the picture and sound quality are both excellent.”